People who eat meat for every meal
- Many different races, but often Indian people eat less meat
- Eating/cooking meat can be seen as macho so possibly more men than women
- People generally don’t think about the fact that they do this
- Consider vegans and vegetarians “preachy” when they bring up issues
- Some people think what they are doing is a problem but feel that it would be too hard to change
- Think that the only food vegetarians eat is salad, quinoa
- People with less money may eat more meat because fast food is mostly meat
- Veganism and vegetarianism could be perceived as luxurious, upper-class hipster trend
- People don’t want to think about what the animals go through – when they are forced to they’re skeptical, doubt whether animals even have feelings, etc.
- Impossible to broach the subject without seeming annoying
- PETA gives animal rights activists a bad image, people associate animal rights activists with violent naked protesters
- Think it’s all or nothing, don’t consider just eating LESS meat
- Beef is a very inefficient industry and incredibly bad for the environment
- Is the hatred/mockery of vegans a form of defensiveness?
- Food would be more expensive if animals were treated better – moral dilemma. What’s more important, humane treatment of animals of affordable food